Parents of children with nonverbal learning disabilities and neurodiversities
Parents of children with nonverbal learning disabilities and neurodiversities: Taking off the fire hat.
How to instill Fire PREVENTION, instead of Fire FIGHTING.
Watch the Video & Learn from Linda’s struggles as a child with NVLD/ADHD and professional experiences how to help your child
‘Don’t be the fire fighter, be the coach! -Be a protector, but don’t shelter. Be a guide, a mentor, and a teacher for your child at any age.’
• Don’t be afraid to have consequences.
• Do not negotiate. Do not give in.
• Teach resilience. There are no IEP’s and 504’s in the real world.
You’re not a bad parent if you have expectations!
• Build off of your child’s special interests.
• You can instill independent behavior from a young age.
• Laundry, Cooking, Cleaning up
• Let your child fail, do not overprotect they will learn from the experience with your guidance !
Teaching problem solving :
• Encourage your child to think and “Try another way.”
• Tools to handle social situations.