Listen to Linda on ADHD for Smart Ass Woman Podcast
Episode 56: Is it ADHD or Non-Verbal Learning Disorder? with Linda Karanzalis, M.S., BCCS
Join Tracy and her guest Linda Karanzalis, in Episode #56 of ADHD for Smart Ass Women. Linda is a board-certified cognitive specialist and parent/student coach who provides executive function training and social-emotional learning programs for people of all ages. Linda also just wrote an article for ADDitude magazine’s Winter 2020 issue on ADHD and Non-verbal Learning Disorder.
- Her symptoms in childhood
- Her ADHD diagnosis
- How she figured out that she had something more than just ADHD
- Her Non-Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) diagnosis
- What NVLD looks like
- What percentage of communication is verbal vs non-verbal and why that matters
- Why those with NVLD actually talk more, not less
- What it means to not understand the meaning behind words and take things literally
- How to tell the difference between ADHD and NVLD
- Why those with NVLD are often misdiagnosed with ADHD
- Why NVLD is still not recognized in the DSM even though they are both brain-based conditions
- What happens to those with NVLD who are left untreated
Linda then shares the current treatment options for NVLD and explains why she believes they don’t work. She also shares what she has discovered does work.